Our dynamic music program caters for a variety of musical abilities for students in Prep to Year 12.
The music program consists of five main points of access:
- Compulsory music classes of up to 70 minutes per week in Prep to Year 8.
Have you ever had your child start with the recorder? At Discovery we learn music by playing the ukulele and bongos to start with. In 2018 at the 1770 Captain Cook Festival we marched in the parade playing “Wipe Out” with these instruments!
- Elective music classes totalling 140 minutes per week in Year 9 and 10 moving towards a Senior School Music program in the future.
- Bands and Ensembles:
- Big Band which rehearses for one hour on Monday after school each week;
- String Ensemble which rehearses for one hour on Tuesday after school each week.
- Small Group Music Lessons: in small groups students have a focussed instrumental lesson for 30 minutes per week.
- Primary Choir: weekly lunchtime rehearsals focussing on modern classics.
Students can apply for entry into the music program for the following (current) instruments:
- Brass: Trumpet, Trombone
- Woodwind: Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Guitar / Bass Guitar
Students have multiple opportunities to showcase their musical talents in events such as:
- ANZAC and Remembrance services
- Big Morning Tea event
- Music competitions
- School assemblies
- Festival of Light: a yearly showcase of the arts.
We believe in:
- Excellence in our performances
- Exploring different genres of music
- Showcasing our talents whenever we can
- Composing new music using instruments and via computer software.
We are very proud of our music program and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact our Music Director, Mr Luke Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
No media download found.